In May 2020, the Centre for the New Midlands CIC was officially launched as a Community Interest Company (company number 12399848). The organisation is a not-for-profit company, headquartered at Friars House in Coventry city centre, 2 minutes walk from Coventry train station.
Our mission is to develop and disseminate new ideas to enrich the lives of the region’s citizens and to enhance political discourse across the area.
Through our collaboration with industry and academia, we will discover new solutions to some of the region’s biggest social and economic challenges and help to shape a New Midlands.
Our Ambitions for the Future:
Our vision is to be the most influential think tank outside of London and to be the ‘go-to’ for organisations when seeking to develop new ideas and generate new ways of doing things to address the biggest challenges and opportunities facing the Midlands’ region.
We are guided by the below principles. We will:
- Be wholly transparent in who funds our organisation and projects
- Always have editorial control on our published content (rather than those who fund)
- Engage with academics from across the Midlands and work with the region’s outstanding universities to create new research opportunities for early career researchers
- Always provide tangible recommendations to support and promote positive change
Our Unique Identity:
- We will focus our research and public engagement solely on the big issues facing the Midlands region (with an initial focus on the West Midlands)
- We will create new ideas to address the big challenges facing the region and help to shape the conversation – rather than just having to respond to it
- We are physically based in the region
- We are apolitical. We have ‘no horse in the race’
- Our research will tend to focus on improving the social fabric of the region and not just the economic performance of the Midlands